Be Careful What You Copy!

Hello :trust: community,

As we all know TRUST wallet is impenetrable, unfortunately the rest of our digital ecosystems are not as trustworthy. More often than you might think something as mundane as your device’s clipboard could be the cause of devastating loss. Apps on both Android and iOS platforms can access and read your clipboard’s :clipboard: contents. Regardless if you knew that, are you cognitively thinking about that as you multitask between apps? Below I have included a couple excerpts from an article published by Naked Security (Sophos):

In March, researchers Talal Haj Bakry and Tommy Mysk revealed that Android and iOS apps – including the mind-bogglingly popular, China-owned, video-sharing/often in privacy hot water TikTok – could silently, automatically read anything you copy into your mobile device’s clipboard. Sexy selfies? Passwords copied from your password manager? Bank account information? Bitcoin addresses? Yes, yes, scary yes, yes. Anything you’ve copied recently, they’ll paste it into themselves. Such data is typically used for advertising and tracking purposes.

There are some big names on the list of apps that are doing this:

News
– ABC News
– Al Jazeera English
– CBC News
– CBS News
– CNBC
– Fox News
– News Break
– New York Times
– NPR
– ntv Nachricten
– Reuters
– Russia Today
– Stern Nachrichten
– The Economist
– The Huffington Post
– The Wall Street Journal
– Vice News

Games
– 8 Ball Pool
– AMAZE!!!
– Bejeweled
– Block Puzzle
– Classic Bejeweled
– Classic Bejeweled HD
– FlipTheGun
– Fruit Ninja
– Golfmasters
– Letter Soup
– Love Nikki
– My Emma
– Plants vs Zombies Heroes
– Pooking – Billiards City
– PUBG Mobile
– Tomb of the Mask
– Tomb of the Mask: Color
– Total Party Killer
– Watermarbling

Social
– TikTok
– ToTalk
– Truecaller
– Viber
– Weibo
– Zoosk

Other
– 10% Happier: Meditation
– 5-0 Radio Police Scanner
– Accuweather
– AliExpress Shopping App
– Bed Bath & Beyond
– Dazn
– Hotels dot com
– Hotel Tonight
– Overstock
– Pigment – Adult Coloring Book to Color
– Sky Ticket
– The Weather Network

The article does not specifically list recovery phrases (seed words) and private keys in the list of information that could be compromised, but hopefully you realize the consequences if that were to happen to you. If you copy and paste a recovery phrase (seed words) or private key always make sure that you copy something else before opening another 3rd party app!

Article source: nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/06/30/ios-14-flags-tiktok-53-other-apps-spying-on-iphone-clipboards/

- Xian
Keep On Trusting :trust:

43 Likes

So many smart tactics used by these scammers and hackers just to steal your hard earn funds. Stay Safu and know you are your own bank.

Insightful from @xian

7 Likes

The only solution to this @xian is for Trust wallet to introduce an inbuilt keyboard that can’t be accessed by other keylogger-apps. Its high time people considered this a disaster, thanks for the headsup. I dont see Gboard in the list or those other keyboards that have a clipboard that copies what is already in your phones clipboard

11 Likes

Kudos to you for this piece.
It is better to be well informed than to be deformed by whatever mistakes later made.
But greed at times made some give out their sensitive information.

8 Likes

@xian,God bless you. This is quite informative and helpful.

7 Likes

Really thanks for your important information

6 Likes

This is a reminder that was much needed

9 Likes

Thanks you for the information and I will be very careful

7 Likes

@xian Great information! Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

And many do this on public computers making their accounts vulnerable.

6 Likes

I saw videos on youtube where they can easily track records from what your typing in…public network aren’t safe…

7 Likes

Thank you for this article. Never thought they are secretly doing this. :expressionless:

6 Likes

Waahhh…i have this tiktok on my phone…gonna uninstall it right now…this really helps a lot…

5 Likes

I often find tons of content for protecting one in computer but in case of mobile I can’t seem to find much.

Strange but I do scare sometimes. Thanks for the helpful tip I’ll keep this in mind.

4 Likes

Awesome thanks a lot for the information

5 Likes

Always scammers have their ticks do it is good be careful what You’re doing

9 Likes

Thanks for info :+1:

6 Likes

I think you should share them at some point. For the greater good :relaxed:

7 Likes

Such an insightful article! Noted.

6 Likes

Thanks for warning us @xian we appreciated :cowboy_hat_face: