Chrome Browser Extension BNB Beacon -> Smart Chain migration causes BNB to go to wrong address and lose your BNB

I think I’ve discovered a bug in the Chrome browser web extension for TrustWallet. And it’s a big one.

If anyone goes to the Beacon Chain to see their BNB, they are promted to migrate their funds. There is a help doc at blog dot trustwallet dot com /how-to-migrate-your-bep2-assets-to-bep20

This works fine on the mobile app. The transaction says it will send to your BNB Smart Chain address and it does in fact arrive there

However in the Browser extension, in the same way it says it will send your BNB to your Smart Chain address, however when you click on submit, it actually doesn’t send it there, it sends it somewhere else completely, and so you lose access to that BNB forever.

The browser said it would send it to the correct address, but when you click on Confirm it actually doesn’t, and you can see this by looking at the transaction in the chain browser. So it lies to you.

I need help to try and resolve this, and TrustWallet needs to rectify the cause of this problem urgently.
Andy

23 Likes

@anj Can you please submit a ticket and report this from your Trust wallet app.

Settings → Support
or at support.trustwallet.com

It would be helpful if you could provide screenshots or video recordings of this so the support team could replicate it, thank you.

18 Likes

The same exact thing happened to me earlier today and I’m in the process of submitting a ticket.

14 Likes

It happened to me yesterday, now I don’t have any bnb on both smart chain and beacon chain
I contacted support provided them with browser extension version
Process of migration
Screenshot of the “successful” transaction
Adresses of both BNB BEP2 and BEP20
Urls of bscscan and bnbchain
in bnbchain the adress looks different from what the browser extension mentionned

11 Likes

@kaayc Please read my message above, you need to submit a support ticket.

11 Likes

This is someone impersonating toby, else why would he use a different forum account. Do not contact him!

11 Likes

Yes I gathered that this Tobi_85 guy is a fake and fraud, and had only joined a few hours ago. Obvious fake.

But the real @Tobi is still around I hope.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have made a screen capture video recording of this behaviour to show it is real. I still haven’t heard from Trust Wallet support, not sure if I ever will, but this loss of funds is totally on them since this is a problem caused by Trust Wallet. I’ve lost thousands, and have heard nothing from anyone at Trust Wallet, other than Tobi kindly asking us to log a support ticket. Which I’ve done.

Anyway, the Youtube video is video id tlsuv2dKS0I, and titled “Trust Wallet sends BNB to incorrect address causing loss of BNB”

11 Likes

As noted, I’ve made a screen recording and uploaded it to YouTube,
video ID is tlsuv2dKS0I if you know how to put that into the URL of Youtube, IE after the website address put /watch?v=tlsuv2dKS0I

11 Likes

Hi Tobi and Trust Wallet

Please see a video of Trust Wallet doing the wrong thing here:
Go to youtube and look up video with id tlsuv2dKS0I
That’s youtube dot com /watch?v=tlsuv2dKS0I

So I have just now made a screen recording showing the “Migration” in Smart Wallet, and it clearly shows that the transaction goes to the wrong address from the one it says it will send BNB to. This was a test performed on a separate PC with a separate Trust Wallet address to the one I usually use, I just used this for testing and for recording this video. This is a huge issue, and is obviously causing a lot of grief for multiple people.

NB The test in the video is documenting transaction id 9CF93DC1623E906E4287C4C9607FF56D106C2F5DA8CFEE9288982876A1FF39C8

However, the bigger problematic transaction is one for multiple BNB that I did yesterday, and is obviously very stressful right now as I think I’ve lost all that BNB through no fault of my own. I can send you that transaction ID where I lost multiple BNB, I’m obviously very upset right now please forgive me.

Especially alarming is that this is impacting multiple users, and I would suspect it’s impacting everyone using the web browser extension, through either a bug or malicious intent. I recommend escalating urgently and withdrawing the app from the Chrome web store or replacing with a known working version.

I have logged a few support requests as I collected more information, apologies for this as I didn’t know how to update the existing cases. They are: 732864, 732918 and 732978.

I’ve also logged an issue on the github page: /trustwallet/wallet-core/issues/3741

I’ve also logged a bugbounty with bugcrowd id c71e902f-5b1a-418b-9fb4-b3d70490b908

I’ve also contacted Binance, but they said they had no affiliation to Trust Wallet, which isn’t entirely true, but I understand a help-desk person might not be able to do much.

I also left on note on the TrustWallet Twitter (X) account, only to get spammed by dozens of scammers.

You’re the only person that has responded so far, thank you!

Please let me know if you want the transaction id of the transaction where I lost multiple BNB. I trust the video shows what I’m talking about. Cheers.

Andrew

13 Likes

This happened to me on the March 14th, 2024. It’s been a few days and I have been doing a ton of research trying to find something on this anywhere. It’s a know issue on Reddit, on this forum and others.

I have a ticket open with Trust Wallet and am waiting for them to respond with a solution.

Were you able to ever resolve the transaction and get your coins converted correctly?

8 Likes

@anj @Jm4476 Please provide this information via the support ticket by submitting at support.trustwallet.com
If you received a mail with a ticket ID, you can respond back to the mail.

11 Likes

Thank you for your response @Tobi. I have submitted my ticket and replied to the automated response. It was explained to me that I would be hearing back within 48hrs.

I am still waiting for a response at this time.

10 Likes

@Jm4476 Please wait patiently for a response, you’ll be responded to.

7 Likes

I have received a response from Trust Wallet Support and they said they were able to reproduce the issue on their end and their engineering team is looking into the issue. I haven’t heard since.

I suspect they are actively working on it though as some users have noticed Beacon chain sending was temporarily disabled today due to an “issue”

The exact wording was in an alert popup that would appear at the top of Trust Wallet when looking at your BNB address saying “**Important Notice!** Due to an issue, Beacon Chain sending is temporarily blocked. Any funds sent may result in permanent loss. Normal operations returning soon. Please stay alert for updates. Our apologies for the inconvenience”

Concerning that the loss of funds is permanent, that doesn’t help me given that I’ve lost my life savings just now.

Still, hopefully it’s helped stopping others from losing their funds also.

I’m awaiting an update from Support still, haven’t heard anything for 24 hours.

Andy

7 Likes

@anj Not to worry, the team is working on it also, just expect updates from the support team.

8 Likes

This exactly happened to me too…what should we do?..؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟؟

5 Likes

I think I’ve discovered a bug in the Chrome browser web extension for TrustWallet. And it’s a big one.

If anyone goes to the Beacon Chain to see their BNB, they are promted to migrate their funds. There is a help doc at blog dot trustwallet dot com /how-to-migrate-your-bep2-assets-to-bep20

This works fine on the mobile app. The transaction says it will send to your BNB Smart Chain address and it does in fact arrive there

However in the Browser extension, in the same way it says it will send your BNB to your Smart Chain address, however when you click on submit, it actually doesn’t send it there, it sends it somewhere else completely, and so you lose access to that BNB forever.

The browser said it would send it to the correct address, but when you click on Confirm it actually doesn’t, and you can see this by looking at the transaction in the chain browser. So it lies to you.

I need help to try and resolve this, and TrustWallet needs to rectify the cause of this problem urgently.
Andy

7 Likes

yesterday i also had the same issue after migration from bnb beacon to bnb bsc i also need help my funds i see them stuck in cross chain transfer

9 Likes

I also lost some BNB due to this same error. I believe that there may have actually been an error, however this supposed warning that any funds sent could result in permanent loss is not at all fair or valid, since this warning only started appearing recently and not before, when several users made their BNB transactions/migrations without this warning being present. Users do not have a crystal ball to imagine that a giant company (the largest in this industry) could have such a grotesque flaw?

6 Likes

@ALIKARIMI65 @TechEagle @edmitozotrade The issue has been logged by the support team, please wait for a fix.
If you need further support, please submit a ticket at support.trustwallet.com

8 Likes