Please, what is the difference between TOKEN and COINS

COINs has THEIR own blockchain and TOKENS are based on these blockchain

1 Like

Coins has own blockchain like bitcoin or eth or monero while token are also a digital assets but using a blockchain of another coin like Aave (LEND) they are using the blockchain of eth thats why its a token not a coin.

3 Likes

very helpful, thanks. :+1:

2 Likes

coins have their own blockchain network, while tokens hitchhike on coin’s blockchain network

1 Like

so blockchain crypto is called coin, crypto develop on blockchain is called token.
thanks for explaining

2 Likes

Excellent response, very complete

2 Likes

There are a few different ways to answer this question. The difference between a Coin and a Token are simple, in the grand scheme of things. However, there are many minor details that I will leave out to prevent this from getting to terribly long. The BIGGEST difference between the two is a Coin has its very own Blockchain. A Token, piggyback’s a particular Coin’s Blockchain and does NOT run on its own Chain. Examples being, Bitcoin’s Blockchain runs Counterparty, or XCP, Tokens. Ethereum’s Blockchain runs EVERY ERC Token. One point of massive importance to always remember, is if a Blockchain of a Coin supporting Tokens fails, loses support, market crashes, or the Coin just dies, well EVERY Token that Coin supported will also do the same thing. The only other option for any Token in that situation would be to transfer to another Blockchain and swap out the old Tokens for the new Tokens supported by the new Blockchain.

Another big difference between the two is that a Coin has been developed, seen in its code repository. Where as a Token only takes a person coming up with a name, amount of Tokens, locked or unlocked against further issuance, and god willing some sort of new innovation. No coding or development is required for Token creation. Which is why So many ERC’s Tokens were created out of nothing more than greed. There were 118,000 new Tokens created on Ethereum’s Chain between May 2017 and May 2018 that raised 21.4 Billion dollars from totally unneeded ICO’s. Of that 21.4 Billion dollars raised on nothing more than ideas, 18.3 Billion dollars disappeared from pure scams. All the early Coins were developed and released properly, without raising money pre release. Present day, many new Coins are raising money through ICO’s and are NOT letting the public determine the value from the very start.

Also, new Coins being released today, are sort of confusing to users not well versed in crypto. Perfect example, EOS. EOS was first released as a Token on, of course Ethereum’s Chain, then moved to a very different type of Blockchain of its own. What everyone needs to understand is that Bitcoin was the First Coin and Bitcoin’s Blockchain was the First Blockchain. But most importantly, Bitcoin’s Blockchain WAS the real innovation. Simply put, Bitcoin’s Blockchain was like the Wheel when it was created. The wheel was perfect by design from the start and look how long it’s taken for true upgrades of value began to happen with the wheel. There is no reason to make huge changes to the design of the Blockchain, because we have yet to scratch the surface of its true potential and possibilities. The point of this paragraph being, the original crypto Blockchain is only 11 years 6 months old. If the complete potential is extracted from Blockchain’s within 250 years from now, I would be shocked. So why are people trying to improve something we have yet to begin to explore yet?

This is a very simple question to answer but there are so many differences. I apologize for getting off subject throughout this, but I think the simple answer to the question should be easily seen. If not, I will gladly answer any questions more directly.

—A little Token History—

The first successful Token created was Counterparty, or XCP, and was a project I was very close to. It was released in 2014 and runs on Bitcoin’s Blockchain. Every bitcoin transaction that includes a Counterparty transaction is easily recognized as a “Non Standard” Transaction.

8 Likes

Now I know the difference between coin and token.

I think the terms are somewhat interchangeable. Correct me if I’m wrong… I think Token has come around since the ERC20 contract tokens became mintable (as @sajjad0084 said). I also think it helps differentiate the use case, as some coins are meant to be a form of money at the general retail level, and tokens are meant to be utility focused. A means of exchange for a service, or a reward system but not so much to be thought of as “money” which the term coin implies to most people. I don’t think anyone should be getting on anyones case for using either term.

1 Like

Coin, de l’anglais “pièce”, est le mot couramment utilisé pour décrire l’unité comptable
d’une cryptomonnaie. On distingue les coins des tokens. Un coin fait référence à une
cryptomonnaie servant d’unité de compte, réserve de valeur et intermédiaire des
échanges. Un token désigne une cryptomonnaie donnant accès à un droit ou à un
service particulier sur une DLT publique. Notons qu’une seule et même cryptomonnaie
peut être à la fois un coin et un token.

Simply put, Coins are like a Superstructure whereby Tokens (Infrastructures) are built.
Examples are $ETH is a coin while $BAT, $ZIL, $VET, $OMG are tokens built on the ethereum blockchain.
Another is $TRX is a coin while $BTT, $WIN, $IGG, etc are some of its token.

Tokens are built in other blockchain such as ethereum…while coins are built on their blockchain.
Example: ERC20 tokens are built on ethereum blockchain and Xrp coin have their own blockchain

C’est intéressant votre intervention, vous pouvez me donner le taux d’intérêt sur Aave si on est déposant ? On me dit que c’est 4,49 APY.mais je trouve ça un peu minime comme intérêt si c’est annuel.

Très simple et claire.belle réponse