Feature to "freeze" dust sprinkled in via a "dust attack"

As mentioned on Binance, there is an ongoing dust attack on BNB. From further reading on Binance, it would seem the proper thing to do with the BNB received during the attack would be not to spend, transfer, etc. it. Currently in Trust Wallet the solution is to create a new wallet, and just keep your undusted BNB in it, while leaving untouched the “dust” BNB in your original wallet. You can name your new wallet something like “undusted BNB”, but there is no way to rename just the BNB in your original wallet to something like “do-not-touch BNB”.

More flexible solutions would be one or more of the following:
(1) Let users “freeze” or mark BNB they receive from unknown sources so they could not be accidentally moved.
(2) Let users suffix the token names in their wallets e.g., “BNB” → “BNB - do not touch”
(3) Perhaps warn users for incoming very small amounts of tokens, with the option to marks them as “do not move.” At least on my Binance account, I get warning from Binance each and every time new crypto is deposited, so such warning would be familiar to Binance users of Trust Wallet.

Of course, all this does not apply only to BNB. Dust attacks can happen to all coins. I just used BNB as an example.

This topic came up in thread Is there a way to create a second BNB wallet?

7 Likes

What of those who have spent it?

1 Like

Let’s respond to this please and give it the attention it deserves.

This advice sounds good! Thanks @ratatosk!
Please, let’s give it a trial.

That’s a good question, @InvestorAwesum. I read over
[What Is a Dusting Attack? | Binance Academy](https://What is a dusting attack?)
and
[What Is Bitcoin Dust – and How Can You Clean it?](https://What is bitcoin dust and how can you clean it?)

They give a few suggestions for what you can do. The “coin tumbler” approach is probably only for those who have a large sum to deal with, but some of the other hints apply to pretty much any of us, even if we’ve used the dust. I hope Trust Wallet can help us a bit on this too.

4 Likes

@Chalon2020 I’m not sure how to give it a trial. Unless Trust Wallet has some sort of Alpha/Beta testing facility open to users, I think it’s the Trust Wallet devs who must decide if they want to add and test something for helping with dust.

2 Likes

@ratatosk, I applauded the solutions you proffered and simply suggested we try them.

1 Like

Thanks for the information

I happened to notice that if you swipe left on a wallet, “disable” shows up on the right. What exactly does that mean? This seems like it could be the answer I have been looking for to “put the dust some place I won’t use it by mistake.” Is it? I didn’t find any info about the disable option.

1 Like

It means you will disable the address from showing…

Example
If you disable bnb,it means you wont see bnb in that wallet except you go and add it back

@Bigialo OK, right, I see how that works now. Unfortunately, that will not resolve the problem of the dust attack. E.g., if I use Trust Wallet’s “Wallet Connect” and the site I connect to uses BNB for a fee, it will take it from the BNB wallet, even if I have disabled it. That means some of the dust would be moved, which is exposes me to security risks. Will Trust Wallet look into this problem? We really need a way to put a wallet off limits altogether.

1 Like

I dont think there is any risk attached to it… In as much you did not click any link… I already spend my… Just dont dont click any other link… You can go on with your daily transactions in the app I guess…