Problems recovering usdc sent to theta wallet

I am working to follow the directions (How To Recover Funds Sent to a Wrong Public Address). In the recovery phase I am to put the asset into the proper wallet but USDC is not supported by trustwallet. Is there a workaround for this? I have read in an article on USDC, “USDC is an ERC-20 token issued on the Ethereum blockchain and can be stored in any Ethereum wallet.” I am hoping that I don’t lose this substantial amount of money. Please comment.

Thanks,

Hi @jmass,

After getting the private key of your Theta wallet, open the Trust Wallet app > settings > wallets > + button on the top right corner > i already have a wallet > Etheruem > import the private key

Thanks, I will try this and post the result. Do I have to worry about losing my theta coins by messing with this? That has been a big concern. I set up a separate theta wallet and just put in 4 coins and then will send in a minimal amount of USDC and then try to recover that as my test. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your reply. It is more money than I can comfortably lose.

Nope. It won’t affect your Theta wallet. You are simply getting the private key of that wallet to interact with another blockchain.

If you are worried about your security, I recommend reading these guides:

Thanks for your help. I have done this successfully with a test wallet that I set up with 4 theta coins and 10 dollars USDC. I was able to recover the USDC by simply putting it into an ETH wallet as you told me. It is still listed as USDC in there. To anyone reading this and trying to do the same I just worked my way through the overwhelm of doing a procedure that I didn’t really understand and had lots of unanswered questions and followed the directions exactly. so USDC can be recovered easily. Thanks, I couldn’t have done it without being told to put it into an ETH wallet.

1 Like

To end this post I will add most of the notes that I wish I had had available. I was able to recover my $3900 here but it was confusing with so many things that I didn’t know.

First: As I now understand it the actual virtual coin is actually on the block chain ledger and the private key just gives access to it. This means that you can’t really mess up the other coins that are sitting in your wallet through this process. This would have cut down my anxiety considerably knowing that I wasn’t going to lose the far larger amount chasing the lost money. Just do it.

Next: there will be so much in the directions that you won’t understand but following the directions carefully did work in the end.

Next: beware. I don’t know why but I did this process 3 times correctly and it didn’t work. In the process you create new wallets. In the case of USDC you create an Ethereum wallet and if it doesn’t work then they are empty. I then had 3 empty wallets so I deleted each one and when I got to the 3rd wallet in this process the coins sort of magically appeared. I don’t know if it just took time to populate and I left it early or what.

If you have some similar problem I hope this helps. At first I had great doubts that I would see the money again but in the end I see that they money is there on the blockchain so you just need to make it work.

1 Like